Friday, August 12, 2005

Walk in the Water

Yesterday I went with my mom and the kids to a small creek out behind the ballfield in our backyard/elementary school. At first Pumpkin wouldn't even touch the water. But when she saw me wade in the 3 in. deep clear water, and Rugger shortly thereafter, she couldn't be stopped. By the end she had wet shorts from stooping down to look at the "guppies" (a.k.a. minnows.)

The funny thing is that just minutes before we had been playing on the playground, and the slides were wet from rain the night before. So I keep going down the slides to dry them off, which of course soaked my shorts. Pumpkin, the ever worried one, kept asking me, "Mommy, are you wet?" Because of course, she wasn't going down the slides and getting wet.

So as we walked back from the creek, my daughter and I, her in my arms with a damp bum and me with a lighter heart for having had the fun in the creek, she simply says to me, "Mommy, are you wet?" "Yep. Are you wet?" And she simply says back to me, without any remorse or other tell-tale feelings, "yes." And I just smiled and gave her a squeeze.

**************************

People at church keep commenting on my short, short hair. Apparently they think it's cute. But I don't really like it this short. Not that I liked it very long anymore, either. So I don't know what to think. I've just never liked short hair on women, but in me particular. It brings back memories of my second grade picture....afro like and ugly. And I feel less feminine. The only thing I like is the lack of itchy curls on my neck in the humid heat as I try to sleep. Oh, well.

I hope the rain comes sooner than later and passes over. Tonight at VBS we are suppose to have a big party, with hot dogs, a corn roast, and a maze for the kids (I don't know out of what...but I can't wait to see it...I love real mazes, and plan on going to a corn maze this year... I've been wanting to for at least 4 years now....)

Anyway, the forecast calls for showers, thunderstorms in the late afternoon and evening. The events tonight start at 6:45 and last until 8:45. We're praying it doesn't rain during that time....

On the other hand, the rain in general is needed, but just not during that time....

No comments: