Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Maybe We're All Hypocrits

I knew the evening would go downhill for me once she said the words, "Come on in!"

I've been attending monthly book discussions at my local library for about 3 months now. This third month we switched books because the book we chose (without having read or even looked at it other than searching for a book on Amazon.com) was filled with the "F" word and tons of sexual vulgarities. The book we switched to, however, is more like a Nancy Drew mystery of sorts.

Now, I really don't mind WHAT book we read, as long as I can discuss it with other adults! However, I was offended by the book we chose, though I read it anyway (see post below.) But there are some in our book club who were more offended at the "fluffy" mystery because it was not thought provoking. Two of these women are very outspoken (which I don't mind.) However, it's what they are outspoken about that gets to me. They are outspoken against the moral fiber I stand on. And that's something that just plain doesn't go well with me. I know in our world of tolerism that I should just tolerate what everyone else does with a "to each his own." But frankly I take the words of God to heart that say "...Think on THESE things." Phillipians 4:8

So tonight I thought it was reading club. My neighbor did too, and asked me if it was. I told her yes. A half hour later I'm walking over to her house because no one is at the library. So she suggests we walk to one of the ladies' house to ask her. And of course, that lady is one of the outspoken, and my neighbor tends to be as well. (again, if just outspoken, that's fine. But when it goes against the word of God...)

So she tells us the meeting is next weeek, but to come on in. She offers us wine, which I decline. She tells me I'll drink it once the kids are grown, "it's what you do" she says. I don't like being told what I'll do.

We then sit down and she and my neighbor discuss for the next two and a half hours how they can't believe the book we just read. That it's fit only for children. That if people are offended by men who are obsessed with their penises then they can put the book down, but we don't want our group to be just old "blue haired ladies." On and on they went.

I, meanwhile, try to say that I, too, felt a little put off by the pervertedness of the first book. The plot was interesting, yes, but it was a bit much in the way of vulgarity. They just keep plowing in their conversation.

And then the lady starts talking about the librarian in charge of the group, how she's...whatever...and that it all started "when she decided to homeschool her son." Now HERE'S where I got prepared to do battler, wishing I knew all the comebacks and stats you homeschoolers out there already know that I have yet to learn. I didn't want to make us look bad.

So she starts saying how there's two things she found wrong with homeschooling (she never did get to number two, thank goodness.) And ironically she asks me what my hubby thinks because he teaches public school. I told her that school does not have to be involved for a child to go through "certain experiences" that enable him to become a capable adult. Then her daughter jumped in on the conversation and to my relief completely agreed with me on some of the points John Holt makes in his book "How Children Fail." She was going to become a teacher, but after learning how teacher's are supposed to teach, became frustrated that they weren't teaching children to learn, but are teaching them to test well. So she dropped out, to which her one teacher wisely said, "But it's people like you who we need to become teachers, because you care."

Anyway, her mom had to take the conversation back, so she began to talk about the fact that she wanted out club to have books one could discuss and learn something about, or about real life. And I wanted to ask her what "Skinny Dip" had in it that taught us something, or that reflected real life.

Then she pointed out that the librarian wouldn't agree to read "The DaVinci Code" because it went against her religious beliefs. And this lady said that she didn't understand because this librarian lets her kids watch "The Terminator", and when they were younger, "Power Rangers." And she asked, "Isn't that hypocritical?"

To which I thought, Then we must all be hypocrits at some point, whether or not we want to be. I mean, I WANT to live a Godly life. I want to be like Christ, who was perfect. But I can not attain that. I want to put every thought into submission and live evey moment in God's will, and that is what I should want to do.

But I will fail. And even when I don't, I must decide what His will is, based off of the Bible, my prayer times, etc. And perhaps I will think that a certain violent movie is okay. Or a certain humorous book. But something else I don't think is okay because it takes the Lord's name in vain. Or whatever.

And I'll appear to be a hypocrit. At least in her eyes. And she can't be a hypocrit, because she approved of everything. She even said that she doesn't care what her husband does and where he goes (even with women), as long as he doesn't bring something home that he didn't leave without. (To me this would include a sexual relation that he didn't leave home with, but apparently not to her...)

But you know what? The word hypocrit, in Jesus day, literally meant "actor." Hypocrits were the Greek actors who acted out plays in the ampitheater (I can't spell check because it's down, I apoligize for any mistakes.) It is someone who is faking it. He knows he is not what he is pretending to be.

Which is why Jesus called the Pharisees "actors." They were claiming to be perfect...but perfectionists was more like it. They had their rules and regulations, and they kept them. But they were playing their part. They didn't really buy into any of it.

But that's not me. I don't claim to have it all together. I don't claim to get it all right. And I struggle daily with what I should and should not do as a Christian. So when you see something that I do that doesn't add up with something that I don't do, I supposed you could call me a hypocrit in the way that the word is used now days. But I'm not acting. I'm genuinely trying to live a life in accordance with the will of the one who created me. And I know I'm not perfect. And my choices may and will change over time.

But I doubt that, as both of the ladies tonight thought, I will become less conservative as I grow older. I sure hope not. I mean, in a way, I became less judgemental when I had kids. And one might say more "liberal." But I didn't become less conservative. Nothing came make me become that short of a deliberate back turning on God. So I really hope that age doesn't turn me into a loose cannon who doesn't mind swearing and inappropriate nudity and love affairs. I'd rather remain an innocent child who likes to read Nancy Drew than a lover of all things evil.

And for that matter, the book that we exchanged for the second book was not any more deep or thought provoking. It was just as entertaining as the second book. The only difference, in my opinion, was that the first book was rated "R." Unfortunately, many people mistake this to mean it is more mature and adultlike. Is it more "real life?" I guess it depends on who you talk to. Not in this home.

And that's one point in John Holt's book "What Do I Do On Monday?" that I disagreed with. I don't think children should swear in school, or anywhere for that matter. So what if it's what goes on in the real world, or that adults do it. People kill people, lie, steal, cheat. I don't want my kids doing any of those things, so why swear? Personally, I find swearing unnecessary and often redundant. Occasionaly it makes sense when done in anger or in suprise or something...not that it makes it right. But too often it is littered thoughout langauge as if it were the most common letter of the alphabet, and that's absurd to me.

But hey, I'm not exactly what one would call an esteemed literate, so maybe I'm just a hypocrit.

No comments: