Saturday, August 13, 2005

Pranks & Parties

Last night it did not rain. It was hot, but the rain, which was mild, came earlier in the afternoon and was well past by the time the party, of sorts, began. We started in the sanctuary with all the classes singing one song each, including the pre-schoolers who sang "If You're Happy & You Know It." Pumpkin actually went up on her own and stood with the others, though she didn't sing or do the actions. Pretty much just took it all in. But I was proud that she went up at all. She has moved so far from just a few months ago when she would close her eyes at anyone not extremely familiar to her.

The corn was good, and the maze was a little wooden thing covered by a tarp that I had another girl take Pumpkin through. My in-laws couldn't make it, so it was just our family. I chose a seat near another family that I'd like to get to know. If we can actually get together more often, I think we could be great friends. The husband/father of the family was even playing a little with Pumpkin while Boom went to get us the corn (it was being roasted in spurts; they were having trouble with something.) And I asked the mom/wife if she was planning on homeschooling her son, also, since her sister-in-law (the youth pastor's wife) was, and I knew that didn't mean she was, but I thought I'd ask. And I'm glad I did. She's planning on homeschooling, also. She had also been going back and forth about it, but had made up her mind recently, as have I. So now I know three families in our church who are homeschooling. And she mentioned the fact that I was already realizing: many, many families in this particular area are homeschooling.

And I began to think that maybe God did have a plan for me in this area, and not just for Boom. I have thought about the fact that not one person has said anything to me about nursing in public. Instead, usually the opposite, saying "I remember nursing mine..." or "we've all nursed, honey, no one will wink an eye at you." (this at both church and the school parents I've met.) Most people seem okay with me sleeping with my kids, non-plussed about my homebirths (interested, usually), and now I have the hope that even homeschooling will be mostly accepted.

As I nursed Rugger last night about 2 hours after he went to bed (if I stay up late I am wide awake by his second nursing of the night and usually think about things) I laid there looking at him, still searching for my breast in the dark at a year old, then afterwards, content and secure, flopping onto his back and flinging his chubby arms up above his head, his mouth closed tight in the way that only comes from having just nursed....and I know that this is the moment I'll miss in a year, or two, or forever.

I miss when Pumpkin was about a year old. There's just something about that magic age that makes them the perfect size and cuteness. They aren't the frail newborn, they aren't the strong-minded toddler, they're the cute little cuddler who fits perfectly in your lap. And their face at this age is like no other. In between the baby and the child...

On a whole other note, much less happy, Boom had bad news today. He went to the school to pick some stuff up, and someone had drove their car onto the muddy field again yesterday, doing donuts and destroying the grass, what little of it there was, and leaving behind metal, nails, glass, etc. The police, if you can call them that, did little by way of investigating, and they probably won't even try very hard to discover who it is. About a month ago, same thing happened, and someone also did it to the soccer field. The thing is, our field is the only one in the county that doesn't have the gate shut, so cars can drive in anytime like that. Boom wasn't happy, to say the least. This poses a definite hazard to the boys' health, as if the field wasn't already bad with it's potholes and other faults from being neglected over the years.

However, Boom finally got told his exact budget amount, and it's about double what he first thought. Which means that for the past three years, between him and the previous coach, about $12,000 have gone un-used for the football team, which needed it but was never told it was available, and went instead to other sports. As the athletic director basically stated, "We rob Paul to feed Peter around here..."

So at least he knows he can purchase more stuff since he was short the last two years. If only he had known when he first ordered the stuff...

It is raining now, but pleasantly. I used to get depressed when it rained, but since moving here, I've enjoyed the showers and even the storms, and they are calming to me, now, too, as they have always been to Boom. I think I feel more secure here in the house vs. the trailer on the windy hill.

Well, Rugger just got a cut sure to leave a scar, from knocking the books off the bookshelf, a pastime that was also a favorites of his sister at that age. One must of knicked him, because it's rather a nice little cut, right about the eye. But now, after nursing, and with some Neosporin and a Major League Baseball band-aid (gotten from the while elephant auction in Indiana) he seems okay.

And today, I feel just plain lazy, for no reason at all. I finished my reading club book (the new one.) And that's all I've done today. Oh, well. Some days are like that, I suppose.

No comments: