Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Great Escape!

I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praise, for He saved me from my enemies.
Psalm 18:3


Last night was the first night of VBS, and it went pretty well. I didn't go to VBS last year because Pumpkin would have been in the nursery anyway, and I was 8 plus months pregnant and didn't want to chance being a huge part of it and then go into labor and have them short on help.

I just looked back on my previous blogs, and I forgot somehow to mention that I designed the logo above for this year's VBS! Boom drew the man running and I used clip art to make the rest, and did the type in Adobe Photoshop. (Though my Photoshop version is 8 years old, as is Illustrator....) I was worried they wouldn't like it, but they didn't even change a thing. Cool!

Ironically, the last time I did crafts, we never had enough time (15 is all they give us for crafts.) So this year I begged and pleaded to give me to nights per two crafts, equaling half an hour each, and I ordered them from a craft catalog. It took me several hours to sort the stuff and bad it per kid so I wouldn't take that time during class, and it was worth it in the end, I suppose, except that the kids all finished their crafts before even 10 minutes of the class was up, leaving all of the next day for doing, I don't know what. So there goes my plea for more craft time...go figure. Of course, if the kids had actually taken some time to work on their crafts instead of going the easy route to finish asap, then we would have been fine. But it's like now days kids are learning quickly to move on, move on, move one.

I put Pumpkin in the pre-school class and she did fine, which I knew she would. I caught a glimpse of her after I was in the skit, during the worship part upstairs, and she was just looking around. I wasn't sure if she'd try to do the motions with the music, or not. She's just now starting to imitate people in that way. Maybe she'll be more into it tonight...we'll see. But she liked her craft and she did well...my little girl's growing up!

Rugger did fine in the nursery, he didn't even whimper, but actually went to the girl who was supposed to be in class but likes the nursery better. I guess he's now getting used to the nursery and the way it works, so that's good. I feel so much better when they don't cry at all when I leave them, and I know that he won't be crying while I'm in the skit and can't get him or something. Hopefully he'll do well during Awana this year, too. Maybe he'll even get used to the lady who usually is there for Awana - the one he doesn't get along with now. (I am the Games Leader for Awana.)

The skit went well, and the puppet bit was funny. I remember VBS when I was little, so I get excited for Pumpkin and the kids, especially as she gets older and enjoys it even more. I'm glad I got involved this year. I was frustrated at first, with the time it took and with the kids in my way and all (I could pawn them off, but that would actually be more nerve wracking to a degree than bringing them with me to practices, setting up, etc.)

So all in all, the first night went well. And tonight I don't have to be there early, or stay late, since we practiced last night afterwards. So it should even be a little better!

No comments: