Monday, August 15, 2005

Not Just Another Monday

Today started out normal enough, except that it's the first day of Crash Week for Ike Football, so Boom was gone all day until about 5, and I so missed him. When we used to work together when we were first married, people didn't understand how we could stand to be together 24/7, but we have never wanted otherwise. He's my other half, through and through. It's just not complete without him here.

But, that's the way it is during the fall. And it's better than him being away at war or something. At least he can come home still...

Then at 2:00 I got a call from my mom from the hospital where she was at with my sister. I feared the worst: that she had lost little Ethan Thomas. But she hadn't. She had gone in with what she thought were contractions, but they were just Braxton Hicks (crevix was long and hard as should be.)

However, when they did the ultrasound on the baby, they discovered a massive tumor in his chest. It was not there a month ago when they had the routine ultrasound, and the doctor was concerned enough to get an amniocentesis done to rule out genetic problems, and in case she had to go in for intra-uterine sugery.

I guess she'll go in twice a week from now on to check on the progress of the tumor. Worst case it will grow and she'll go to Philly for sugery. Middle case it will stay the same but baby will grow and get surgery after being born C-section. Best case tumor shrinks and baby is born vaginally and if stable gets sugery later.

Right now his one lung is smaller than the other because the tumor is robbing the blood from the heart before it reaches that lung.

But at least it's not life and death at this point. I believe God gave her the contractions to go to the hospital, so Ethan can get help if needed. I pray that it will not be needed.

But at least I feel better knowing that hopefully he will be okay. I was so afraid.....

2 comments:

Thicket Dweller said...

Wow. That's amazing. My prayers are with your sister and her family.

Debbie Penley said...

Thanks :) Right now she has a schedule for the rest of her pregnancy (she's only 25 weeks) to go in to the docs THREE days a week...twice being for 3 hour long tests...

I trust that everything will work out, but it still gave us a scare - and of course they're not out of the woods, yet, but statistically speaking it looks good.