Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hidden Friends

Well, if the first day of VBS seemed a breeze, we made up for it yesterday. It poured here so they didn't have recreation for the kids, and instead doubled craft time, making yesterday the last day of crafts. It was quite hectic, with no break and lots of chaos, but it was nice tonight with a whole night free for cleaning up.

I ran into the president of our area's homeschoolers. She used to attend our church, but her hubby had a personality difference with our pastor, so they don't anymore. Anyway, I found out that there are two more homeschoolers at our church, one family being the youth pastor's family. So that encourages me. I really wish they had more time to spend with us, but maybe I'll once again try inviting them instead of just saying, "some time we'll have to get together..." It's just that I tire of always being the initiator and never getting asked back in response...

Which brings me to my next subject...the circles of socialness, and how we never seem to be in them. I feel sometimes that there are social circles all around us. At church, in the neighborhood, etc. Some circles intersect, some have circles inside of circles, but we aren't really inside any of them. We might interact with them like gears interact with one another...melding for a time, but breaking apart again with the purpose (or event) is served. And I'm lonely.

I don't want to be an after-thought..."Hey, we're all going to such-and-such to eat, wanna come too?"...I want to be thought of in the first place. I don't want the most popular circles, or the biggest circles, just a single, welcome circle where we belong and are appreciated. Why is it so hard to find this? We had one in Pittsburgh, we had one in Edinboro. We've never had one here. And it's not for lack of trying...

But I must get my daughter off to bed. Later.

No comments: