Sunday, August 14, 2005

Decisions, Convictions, and a Good Movie

Well, I decided to start looking at homeschool choices after talking to the three families briefly at church. But I felt like I was in over my head. So many choices, so many websites, and no way to physically "flip through" it all here in my own living room. I used to love the Internet and all it's offerings. I used to love sitting at the computer. But not anymore. I'm not up to date, I don't want to be, and I get tired of all the un-needed extra stimulation of ads and nonsense links that just keep me from my real goal, whatever it may be.

I got a couple leads from a friend and I really like the sound of the Charlotte Mason style, but I think it may be a bit too heavy on the reading (which is something I really like, don't get me wrong; I love reading) and a little less on the hands-on that I really want to go for. I also like the idea of unschooling, but feel a little more structure may be what I'm comfortable with. So if I can find and inbetween, if it exists, then that's what I want. I want an Eclectic style, according to the definition. A little of this, and a little of that.

But I want, ironically, to be able to follow something in writing vs. just looking stuff up on the net, for the reasons mentioned above. I personally need something tactile to flip through, and I'm more confident with a real book than an e-book.

So I don't know if what I want even exists out there.

Tonight Boom had a small cook-out for the coaches and near the end my doula and good friend (who also sells antiques) came over while her daughter visited a friend at the playground. So we jaunted on over to my neighbor who is a good friend of hers (the one who makes me feel down when I talk to her, though not purposely.) I enjoyed talking to my friend, and we may go on a shopping trip to Bemus Point to window shop or real shop, which I've been wanting to do for awhile now, but just haven't got the nerve to do by myself with the kids. It's only about a half hour's drive away, and it goes over the bridge that goes over Chautauqua Lake, which I've always wanted to drive over since moving here. So I hope we go.

Anyway, while at my neighbors, we discussed discussing books and reading books in general, and my neighbor mentioned that she can't always read novels because she finds that she doesn't read her Bible as much when she has a good book she can't put down. This cut right through me because I haven't read the Bible in a very long time, and it bothers me, and I use excuses, the main one being that it doesn't seem to have anything to say to me right now, in my situation, etc. I try a few days in a row, and I don't get anything. So I figure either there's something I'm doing wrong and God isn't speaking to me, or I just can't figure out how to listen to Him correctly. Either way, I get discouraged and give up.

But her statement made me realize that if I have time for all the reading I've been doing, I really should try harder to get into God's Word. Maybe this homeschooling thing will be clarified if I get closer to God. But see, there I go second guessing because I don't want to read just so that I get my answer to prayer....*sigh*

And Wednesday before Bible School I dropped off a book at the library and picked up a couple of movies we hadn't seen yet: The Bourne Supremacy and Big Fish. The Bourne Supremacy was great, of course. We liked the first movie and this one was just as good. But we were surprised by Big Fish. When we saw the previews on TV, we thought it looked strange, and neither of us are fans of Tim Burton, and I only picked the movie because there weren't any others there that we hadn't seen. But it turned out that we both really loved the movie, crying many times throughout. I want to own it someday now. I really, really liked it.

2 comments:

Thicket Dweller said...

I loved The Big Fish. Awesome movie.

And as far as your curriculum choices, if what you want doesn't exist, you create it! Yeah, that sounds daunting, but it's not. Pull from C.M. and unschooling, and whatever.

I'm currently reading C.M., thanks to referring you to it, and I'm also reading The Well Trained Mind, which, believe it or not, I've never read in my 15 years of home educating!

Hang in there. And relax a bit. It will all fall into place.

Love the pics, BTW. :-)

Debbie Penley said...

Hmmm...just called the library that had "The Well Trained Mind" and got that on the inter-library loan list, too. Hadn't heard of it yet, so thanks!

It's just that I don't remember anything I learned, which is one reason I want to change it for my kids, but how then do I write a curriculum without something? And if I mix and match, do I purchase each one? That kind of thing...*sigh* I just hope SOMEONE around here does unschooling, homelearning, whatever, so that I don't just talk with people who ordered standard textbooks and taught that from home. That's just SO not what I want...