Monday, July 18, 2005

Well, I've been busy the last couple of days, I guess.

First off, I hate polymer clay. I know I thought I would love it, and I bought all this stuff for it (only $70 including clay, but still) and now I only hope that my kiln can be bought much sooner than a whole lot later. Because I still want to sculpt, but not out of polymer stuff.

I know a ton of people are nuts about the stuff, that's why I got so enthusiastic myself. But they use it mainly for visual effects: imitating other natural materials like ivory and jade, creating beads that resemble glass caning, "painting" with texture. I'm trying to use it for pure sculpting. Which means I have two MAIN problems, and tons of little ones. First, the clay is so expensive that I try to use as little of it as possible, which makes it more frail than it already it, which is pretty frail in my humble opinion. Sure, dropping a bead of the stuff won't break it. But when you make anything stick-like that's only a 1/8 of an inch thick...forget it. Second, the stuff gets soft in the oven before it hardens, which means that you have to have an armature of some sort in everything you make or else it will sag upon "firing." This sucks, pure and simple. I don't like the amount of armature you have to use. I prefer straight clay, so my hands can find where it goes. The armature gets in my way. And plus, REAL clay hardens first before it's kiln fired, so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

But with polymer clay, I do. And I really enjoy the sculpting part, if it weren't for all the downsides of the stuff.

Oh, well. There are worse things in life, eh?

Had nursery in church again today. And like usual, it was only my kids and now the youth pastor's daughter. Before he started coming to our church, every Sunday I and Boom worked the nursery there would only be our kids, and I'm not sure why. It's like "curse" (for lack of better word, I'm not trying to be sac-religious here) everytime I'm there. And no one even could have known I'd be there because I switched with someone so our names were wrong.

Anyway, I got to talk to a lady the whole time and that was fun. We talked about Mom stuff, but I enjoyed it. She's my mother's age, so she talked from experience and I talked about going through it...She's worked as a daycare person and with the social services so we also discussed the problems with my in-law situation and how I'll talk with Pumpkin soon about Good and Bad Touch...how I wish that were not necessary!

Other than that, I've been preparing for this weekend. It will be such a long drive out and back for the kids, so I hope we can make it without major crying. Tomorrow we are going to the library to pick up a book I tried requesting twice through interlibrary loaning, but the first time it was messed up and the second time I or else the librarian forgot to get it. Then we'll go to the newspaper and try to find the birth announcement for Rugger, if it's there. Mother-In-Law said she called it in, but she forgot to save the paper (we don't get the paper.) She had at least 10 copies of Pumpkin's, and she saved a wedding pic from one of Boom's friends just weeks after his birth, but no birth announcement.

Then we'll eat Chinese buffet, cheap and yummy, if not always pleasant on the tummy! :)

Then on Tuesday I need to bake cookies for the reunion, then on Wednesday I need to make Strawberry Pretzel Salad (it's big around here, but I never even had it at home) and chop up the ingredients for a pasta salad, after I buy the ingredients so they're fresh. And then I have small group at church, and then we'll plan to leave Thursday at 5 AM.

Whew! Busy week ahead! And I'm already behind on sleep, so I'll catch ya later!

And I already know my blog is boring! Who cares?!

*snicker* I just did the spell check, and it didn't know the word "blog." The blog's own spell checker...

No comments: