Thursday, July 07, 2005

I didn't get a chance to post last night because I was working on a polymer clay gift for my friend's wedding, and Boom and one of his players were reviewing game film so I didn't want to disrupt them by being on the computer, anyway.

BUT, I had a great day yesterday, mostly because of the evening.

First, I came up with an idea that I liked for the polymer clay gift. Ever since I decided that someday I WILL buy a kiln, it's hard to want to use the polymer clay because in my mind it's inferior to ceramics. BUT, there's some stuff you can do that you can't do with any other medium, so I try to use that. Anyway, if I like the final product, maybe I'll scan it in once I get the pictures developed.

Which brings me to the subject of digital cameras. We don't have one, yet, because to get a good one is very expensive, and there's only two reasons I want one: I can delete all the goofed up pics or the ones I accidently take and only develope the ones I like, and two: I can upload the pics to my computer and publish them on the web. But that's the only reasons I want one, and there are many more reasons I want other things, so for now I'll do without the digital camera.

Anyway, then I cleaned the house (by cleaned I mean picked up toys, vaccumed quickly, did the dishes and put the clothes from 3 days ago away.) But then at church I enjoyed our small group (it's all women and we are discussing the inner workings of our men so we can be better wives, working from the book For Women Only.) Afterwards I went to show the one lady my artwork for VBS, and she loved it! I was worried that they would want to change something, but they liked it! They like Boom's drawing of a Biblical character running, which they thought was clipart and when I told them Boom had drawn it, they were impressed. I was very happy because I worked very hard on the project, which I hadn't even really wanted to do, but once I said I would, I wanted to do it well. It's the graphic designer that still exists in me :)

The second, REALLY EXCITING thing that happened...well, actually, I forgot to mention one! BEFORE I got to church or even finished cleaning, the mailman knocked on my door and after I thanked him for bringing the package to my door, I ran inside the house and grabbed a pair of scissors because my Slinkys had arrived! You see, ever since I was a kid, I have loved slinkys. From the moment I heard the "slink" of the metal 'walking' down my Grandparents stairwell, echoing in perfect rythm, to the times I slid the whole thing on my little girl arms as a giant braclet (which hurt like crazy as it caught all my arm hairs in it's coils), to the time I found a miniture version (non-brand name) in college, I have loved slinkys and have kept them on my person at all times (all most... I"m not obsessed, after all;) ) Anyway, the one from college I had with me for so long, in my bookbag, then my purse, and eventually the diaper bag. Well, last month sometime I lost it. I must have taken it out for Caleb or Amber to play with along with other toys, and somehow I missed it when I gathered up everything, because I was looking for it later, and it never turned up.

So, depressed I began searching in stores and on the internet for THAT particular slinky, which is slightly smaller and longer than a SLINKY, JR. I found only one promising site that sold 24 spring toys in bulk, and I finally went for it, desperate as I am. I wasn't sure they'd be the same size, since it didn't say it was the same brand, but I hoped it would be close enough. So when I opened the box and saw that they were the exact same springs that I had in college, I was thrilled! They were wrapped in small plastic bags with the logo printed on it, and had gold twisty ties on them. It was like opening your favorite candy!

So, the only thing that topped that was when one of the ladies at church was talking with me, and when I mentioned my dream of buying a kiln someday, she mentioned a friend of hers that had a kiln that she didn't think she used anymore because she had planned on opening a ceramics place (much like my dream) and only had a couple of parties and then kind of gave up on the idea. But she thought that maybe this lady would be willing to sell me the kiln for cheaper than a new one, and they could maybe use the money because of recent situations, and my stomach jumped up to my chest like it does when I'm at the top of the first hill of a roller coaster (which is one the few places I love best on this earth) and I could hardly breath with the idea of possibly owing a kiln soon, much sooner than I planned on. And that I could be making ceramics before the end of the year, in time for Christmas!

But I have to hold my breath and that thought because for all I know the other lady still wants her kiln and won't even think of parting with it, so I can't get too excited until I hear more. But like a 16 year old waiting for his first car, I can't help it....

And with that, I must go because my own two little ones are getting out of hand, and I must attend to them.

1 comment:

Thicket Dweller said...

Oooh! I know that feeling of excitement! I hope you get your kiln. :-)