Sunday, July 31, 2005

Little Town - Big Sale

Yesterday was Sugar Grove Sales Day...the whole town has a garage sale, usually inviting friends and family so that whole yards are filled with tables, tarps, chairs, canopies, etc. Last year was the first time I was even close to the whole shabang, as we had just bought our house (signed the papers, hadn't closed.) We were showing it off to our parents, and it happened to be that Saturday. So we had to fight the hundreds of cars just to get to the house, and it was raining last year. We walked around to some of the houses, and even bought a few things, but I never knew the extent of it until now...

The sale didn't start until early Saturday morning, but I had spent half of my money the night before, from our two next door neighbors. The rest I spent yesterday, and I won't say how much, but it was more than I thought I would. Apparently it's good that I never know where garage sales are! I got a few toys, some of them good (pentamino set, light bright, a bubble light globe thing), and some just ordinary toys (bubble mower, double baby stroller for Pumpkin), clothes for me and the kids, a gift for Boom, an old fashioned push mower for Boom (he needs one more to complete his set of three that he wants to pull behind a regular mower...and we had a tip on one but it wasn't a very good tip, and by the time I found the house that was selling it, it had sold an hour ago...)

There were vendors, too. From food to trinkets to t-shirts and paintings...which I found to be annoying because it's supposed to be a garage sale. But on the other hand, this means if I get a kiln one of these days and make my own wares, I could sell them without feeling weird. I saw some people who make their own thing selling it, and a few people sold some baked goods.

But the most exciting part of the day was after my MIL and BIL left and my BIL's girlfriend was just there. We got to talk for the first time and really get to know each other. It turns out that we have far more in common than I would have thought, and she shares the same plight with MIL that I do, but for her it's a little worse because MIL actually puts her down to her face, and instead of BIL sticking up for her, he runs to Mommy when they've had an argument. I'm glad Boom stood up to my MIL the first day we lived with them, because I think that made all the difference in the world. She knows if she ever pushed me hard enough, she'll be pushing into her own son...

Anyway, now I made a new friend. And for now she's not working, so I can visit her during the day! I hope that this won't bring repercussions among my end of the MIL thing, but I have a feeling it may. Especially since lately my in-laws aren't always fond of this girl, and if it turns out I'm visiting her a lot (which since she lives behind my MIL where we used to live, MIL will see me visit her and wonder big-time...probably will even call to see why I'm there) there may be side effects. Oh, well. I'm willing to go for it anyway...

No comments: