Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Jack of All Trades, Master of Fun

Well, I've been reading a little Charlotte Mason, a lot of John Holt, and I'm starting to get a feel for what I want as far as homeschooling goes.

I like some of the stuff Charlotte Mason says, but I just don't think, that for now, I want to follow her specifics. In fact, I don't want to follow any specifics. Hence, the UNschooling.

I thought I wanted a curriculum. But when I tried filling out the How To Write A Low Cost/No Cost Curriculum book I got stuck when I got to the part that asked about your children's learning styles. Basically, my kids learn by all styles right now...they haven't got far enough along to see what their strengths are, yet.

But the beauty of unschooling is that no matter what age (even me!) you can learn just about anything by doing whatever (within the limits of reason, of course. My kids will not be watching veggie tales 24/7....maybe only 3/)

And here's the really cool part. I've always known that I know a little about a lot of thing, and I've always wanted to know more about everything. Which makes me THE PERFECT UNSCHOOLING TEACHER FOR MY KIDS! I want to have fun...it's almost my motto (ask my high school friends who weren't allowed to touch my toys...or heck, look in my [yes, MY] toy box and see all my childhood toys that I've kept.)

I love researching, I love finding answers! I just can't wait until the answers involve more than, "He was a catipillar, then turned into a butterfly..." "No, Mommy, he wasn't a catipillar, he was a WORMY!" (from SpongeBob episode: "Wormy")

Anyway, I'm probably more excited than my kids will be...I can't wait to order microscopes, binoculars, gyroscopes, make flower presses, kaleidoscopes, etc. I can't wait! And all in the name of education...go figure!


On another note, now that Rugger is walking, he must think it's time to learn more important things. Namely how to unroll toilet paper. And tonight he learned how to flush. Just wait till he puts the two together...it makes a mothers heart almost...stop ;)

But Boom is asleep, or maybe not so, waiting for the warmth of my body beside him. Funny how we both can't sleep as well without the other, though we both enjoy our freedom of space and would LOVE for a king size bed...Oh, well.

Good night.

2 comments:

Thicket Dweller said...

Sounds like you're on the right track! I'd skip that particular section in _Write Your Own..._ for now and go on to the next section. Did you photocopy the pages, or write directly into the book? I should have mentioned that. :-) I'll get my copy out and see what else you have in there. I must admit, I didn't fill out all of the forms, either. But it gives you an excellent starting point!

The other beauty of eclectic schooling (which incorporates unschooling) is that you can pull from all of the different teaching/learning methods, including John Holt AND Charlotte Mason. :-)

Debbie Penley said...

Yeah, um, I wrote in the book, then noticed the part that said to photocopy :o So I figured I already ruined it with my horrible unledgable (sp?) writing on the first page, might as well right in the rest of it...

Oh, well :)

But yeah, I like that I can take the parts of Charlotte Mason I like and the parts of Montessori, and John Holt, and just ANYTHING and use it.